Monday, March 16, 2015

Surviving winter: start with skin care!


My biggest struggle in the winter (aside from not being able enjoy as many outdoor runs) is keeping my skin healthy. I constantly feel like my skin is dry and multiple showers a day because of gym training sessions don't help the situation. A few weeks ago I reached out to a local YASOU Natural Skin Care about testing some of their products. Their founder and creator Theodora Ntovas was happy to oblige and sent me a few samples to try out.

First of all, I love that there's a local connection. Being able to put a face with a brand really gives it that personal touch and gives you the confidence in what you're purchasing. YASOU (pronounced ya-su) gets its name from a common Greek greeting meaning "to your health". They combine natural ingredients and certified organics to offer multiple health and beauty benefits. This is truly a luxurious skin care line. All of the scents come from natural essential oils and they use the highest quality ingredients. Even the products and packaging are sourced and crafted right here in the U.S.A. The packaging is all environmentally friendly and they don't use any animal testing. 

The YASOU skin care line up
So let's talk about what I used. As soon as I opened the box, I had to try the Hydrating Body Cream. The usage/tips say to apply after bathing but the smell was so pleasant I wanted to try a bit on my hands right away. The cream has a really rich texture without leaving any oily residue. When I got home and showered I used it as suggested and my skin was thankful for it. I felt hydrated and nourished. Typically when I apply lotion at night my skin feels dry by the morning, but with this body cream I still felt moisturized as I was getting ready for work.

Next up I tried the Cell Renewal Night Cream. I applied it just before bed and maybe it was just my imagination but it seemed like I could actually feel it stimulating my skin. When I woke up I felt refreshed. The ingredients include jojoba oil, shea butter, aloe vera and cucumber seed extract. It moisturizes, hydrates, soothes and promotes elasticity and radiance. I followed up the night routine with the Cellular Day Cream in the morning before heading out to get my day started. A little bit really does go a long way, I only applied a a small amount but I could feel my skin hydrated all day. (this is a miracle considering how high they have the radiators turned up at the studio). While I don't typically wear makeup during the week, this cream dries quickly enough that you could still do your regular cosmetic routine shortly after moisturizing. Some of the ingredients listed for this product include extract from sugar cane, lemons, oranges, apples and green tea.
My muscle pain relief oil infusion

I was so impressed by YASOU's products that I reached out to Theodora again to ask about other uses for essential oils. We chatted back and forth about a few different recipes and ultimately I settled on a blend of sweet almond oil, cedarwood oil, ginger, marjoram, chamomile and lavender as my post-marathon relaxation. This blend is supposed to help with muscle pain, which I had plenty of following those vicious hills of Little Rock. I set the ingredients up in my Porthole Infuser before heading to the race and let them infuse for a few days before using. The smell was soothing and while I can't say with 100% certainty that it worked, I definitely felt relaxed and my muscles seemed to loosen up after using it. 

I can't stress how important it is to take care of your WHOLE body, especially your skin. I suppose as a makeup artist I'm more cognizant of this but it's definitely necessary to keep a healthy mind, body and soul. So tell me, what are some of your favorite go-to products? 


No comments:

Post a Comment